Thursday, May 8, 2014

Lancome Lip Lover vs. Dior Fluid Stick vs. YSL Glossy Stain: Which glossy liquid lip color is right for you?

I am loving all of the new hybrid liquid lip formulas that have been launching recently. These are not just a traditional lip gloss, but products that combine lipstick qualities with a gloss or stain.

YSL was the first to launch a unique product with its Glossy Stain in 2012. The others have been released this year.

I am going to compare the three products I have been using, and do my best to describe their differences.

Applicators:

Lancome Lip Lover has a slim, elongated applicator that is flexible.

Dior Fluid Stick has a substantially wider and more firm doe foot applicator.

YSL Glossy Stain has a bent doe foot applicator with some flexibility.

Price:

Lancome Lip Lover is $23 for .15 fluid ounces.

Dior Fluid Stick is $35 for .18 fluid ounces.

YSL Glossy Stain is $35 for .20 fluid ounces.

Packaging:
Lancome Lip Lover has the smallest tube, which I prefer. I don't like the push button clasp- it can open accidentally sometimes.
 
Dior Fluid Stick is the bulkiest. I prefer sleeker packaging, but I do love the clear end that is shaped like a lipstick bullet.
 
YSL Glossy Stain has a nice size without the chunkiness of the Dior tube. I also like the simplicity of the packaging.
 

 

Formula:

Lancome Lip Lover is a long lasting lip gloss. It feels very thick and cushiony going on, and wears for about 3-4 hours. It doesn't leave a stain, but becomes less glossy as it wears down. Neither color I got has much pigment, but I love the sheer healthy look they give. These don't dry my lips out, but they also don't add any moisture during wear.

Dior Fluid Stick is a highly pigmented liquid lipstick. It has a slightly stickier feel than Lip Lover, but not as sticky as the Glossy Stain. It fully covers the lips, and only a thin layer is needed. I get about 4 hours of wear time and my lips feel more moisturized than before.

YSL Glossy Stain is a gloss that leaves a long lasting stain behind. It has medium opacity, but does allow some lip color to show through. This formula is the stickiest of the bunch, but also the most long lasting. I can get 6-7 hours of wear time from Glossy Stains! I do find it slightly drying, and need a layer of balm by the end of the day.

Smell:

Lancome Lip Lover has a light rose scent.

Dior Fluid Stick has a lightly perfumed scent that is barely noticeable.

YSL Glossy Stain has a strong fruity floral scent.

Of the three, only YSL Glossy Stain leaves a stain behind.

I really love all three formulas for different reasons. I hope these comparisons explain the differences and help you choose. Overall, they all serve different purposes in my lip wardrobe (that sounded fancy).

 

3 comments:

Grlnxdor said...

I really love that you compared all three. I had been seeing so much buzz on the Dior and YSL, but hadn't seen much on the Lancôme. I'm definitely going to check out the Lancôme and maybe the Dior too.

Grlnxdor said...

I really love that you compared all three. I had been seeing so much buzz on the Dior and YSL, but hadn't seen much on the Lancôme. I'm definitely going to check out the Lancôme and maybe the Dior too.

Emi at Project Swatch said...

Fantastic comparison - thank you so much! This is really helpful.