Thursday, January 2, 2014

Random Drugstore Roundup

Here are some brief drugstore reviews, all together in one post.
Revlon has a new cheek collection including new blushes and a few highlighters with a strip design. I chose Classy Coral and Haute Pink blushes, and the lightest highlighter- Peach Glow.

I have been wearing the blushes regularly for the past few weeks, and I can confidently declare them winners! Haute pink is a bright cool pink with a satin finish. Classy Coral is a matte pinkish peach shade. They both have excellent wear time, and build easily from a natural flush to a bold pop of color.

Peach Glow was a miss, as the color is too deep to be a highlight color on me. It is not very shimmery either, so layering it over a blush isn't an option.

 

 

Next up in blush news, is Maybelline Master Highlight Blush. The patchwork design is really lovely, and the promise of a highlighter and blush in one sounds promising.

 

Pink Rose is a neutral pink with silvery shimmer. Unfortunately, it is too light to work as a blush for me. When I build the color, the finish becomes overly frosty. I did try layering this over a pink blush, and the color and finish were pretty- too bad the staying power was lacking on this.

 

 
 
Maybelline also released a collection of lipsticks called The Buffs. These are the Colorsensational formula, which I have loved in the past.

 

Stormy Sahara is a warm medium brown. Blushing Beige is a light brownish beige. Both a colors are opaque and creamy with no shimmer.

Unfortunately, neither of these colors were very flattering on me. Both are overly brown, with no hints of peach or pink to be seen. A sheerer formula or slightly different undertones would have made these more workable for me. I can layer them with gloss and get a better color result, but I think I will pass on the rest of this collection.

On to a win from Maybelline. Color Elixir is a full color gloss that is supposed to be moisturizing and shiny.

The wand is similar to YSL Glossy Stains- a flat, angled applicator.

I love the clear and compact packaging!

Petal Plush is a baby pink with silver shimmer. It was the only one that felt slightly gritty to me, and it left silver shimmer behind after it faded.

 

Blush Essence is a medium cool pink with a slight silvery sheen. It can look very natural with one coat, and more saturated with another layer.

 

Nude Illusion is a smooth light brown. On the lips, it gives a soft nude sheen without muting my natural lip color totally.

The Color Elixirs are cushiony and thick in the best way possible. They don't feel sticky on the the lips, and are slightly moisturizing. They are lightly floral scented, which I love; the smell might bother some though. I would definitely like to try more colors in this line!

Are there any drugstore products you have loved lately? I am still on the lookout for NYX Butter Lipsticks!

 

 

1 comment:

Emi at Project Swatch said...

Those Revlon blushes look better than I expected - I might check them out. Thanks for all the swatches!