Monday, February 27, 2012

An Animal Update

 No dogs reside in our home at the moment. Zoey the German Shepherd was hit by a car awhile back, and we haven't had the time to devote to training a puppy recently. We do still have animals though.....

 Mabel is a Jersey milk cow. She is still young, but the plan is to breed her next year. She lives with the goats most of the time.

 We have four dairy goats- one male named Bill, and three females- Wendy, Jessica, and Fern. The girls should be pregnant right now, so we might be trying our hand at milking sometime this spring.

 

 Bill never got his horns properly removed, but they are kind of cute. Or something.......


 Sometimes I can hear Mabel the cow sigh as she returns to the goat pen- these idiots again? I think she secretly enjoys the company though.

Chickens will be coming in spring. We had them at our old house, but had not gotten things set here until now.

 Lastly we have sweet Outside Kitty. We don't know her story, but she was at this house when we got here and never left. She loves to eat moles, lizards, birds, and any household leftovers.

6 comments:

Dovey said...

Hi Martha, I loved seeing your menagerie. (I'm sorry to hear about Zoey (past though it may be), what a sad story :/) It must be a lot of work to care for everyone. I'd love to hear about the interesting milking and other adventures coming your way!

Modesty Brown said...

At chuckled as I read "not these idiots again"! I imagine the goats are real characters. I bet the boys get a lot out of having the animals and looking after them?

Martha said...

Thanks Dovey! I enjoy posting about the animals and kids, and should try to do it more often.

Jane- the boys have great fun with the animals as well as having some chores like feeding. I think the smallest goat is their favorite.

Makeup Magpie said...

Thanks for posting the photos of your cute farm animals. They look like fun to have around but I imagine they must be a lot of work too! Outside Kitty looks so cute as well. This makes me wish I could get away from the crazy city I live in for a while *sigh* :-)

Crissy K said...

Wow I love your animals. My dream is to one day have a cow in my backyard. Pretty hard when you live in super crammed NYC :( What state do you live in?

Crissy K said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.