Sunday, January 1, 2012

Revlon Lip Butter: Swatches and Review

And now a drugstore interlude. I present you with Revlon Lip Butters:

Now, I know what you are thinking.......
Even Paula is uneasy by the amount of butter I have recently accumulated. 

I have to say that these are nice. Whether I will be keeping them all remains to be seen. A few recent trips to the Target pharmacy along with CVS Extra Bucks, and I seem to have gathered more than I intended.

Up first are the peach and nude colors:
In the tube, most are brightly colored and free of shimmer. In this group, only Peach Parfait has some shimmer, but I don't find it apparent on the lips.
The below swatches were made with one or two passes:
Creme Brulee is a light tan that gives a healthy nude look. Creamsicle is close to the color of my skin and mutes out my natural lip color. I find it looks best with a gloss or color on top. Peach Parfait is a warm pink with golden shimmer. Tutti Frutti is a sheer orange and so fun to wear.Candy Apple is bright pinked red. Fig Jam is not as brown as looks in the tube- it is a sheer pink brown.

Now on to the pinks:
Gumdrop is a pale lavender with silver shimmer. Strawberry Shortcake is a light bluish pink. Sweet Tart is a sheer hot pink. Berry Smoothie is a natural mauve pink. Lollipop is a bright fuchsia. Sugar Plum is a brownish plum.

Most of these colors are subtle and sheer on the lips with the exception of Candy Apple and Lollipop- both colors are full of pigment. The lighter colors still have enough color to be noticeable on the lips though. 

As far as formula goes, these aren't particularly moisturizing. They don't dry my lips terribly, but I do need a balm after wearing these all day. The formula is slightly thick and long lasting for a sheer lipstick. In comparison to the Dior Addict, these are similar but slightly more waxy feeling. In comparison to Rouge Coco Shine, they have less of a glossy finish and less slip. Some of the lighter colors are not forgiving on flaky, chapped lips and can settle in lines. The mid tones like Tutti Frutti, Strawberry Shortcake, and Berry Smoothie are the easiest to wear and my favorites.

I don't think you will be ditching your high end lipstick formulas when you try these, but they are worth picking up if you spot a sale. I like to grab them when I need a sheer color and can't be bothered with gloss or lipstick. If you enjoy the look of a sheer lipstick or want to try a gloss/lipstick hybrid, give Revlon Lip Butter a try!

5 comments:

Zuzu's Petals said...

I really like Sweet Tart and Lollipop.

Dovey said...

Wow, you have accumulated quite a number! I've been so curious about these since I haven't found any near me yet. I'm glad you mentioned the formula; I was imaging these to be more moisturizing!

Hunter87 said...

I LOVE Revlon Lip Butters!!
Great Post
Now following =)
~Jazmin

Victoria said...

Is it bad that I love that pic of paula so much I've been revisiting this post? :D

AhCapp said...

Hi Martha,

I'm from Singapore. We don't have these lipsticks here yet. But I managed to buy 10 of them through eBay! Hahah I know I was crazy but I was dying to try them out and also find my favourite colours! :)

My favourite so far is sugar plum, pink truffle and peach parfait. I am currently waiting to get tutti frutti, sweet tart and fig jam now. :)

thank you for your swatches! I have decided to leave you a message after being a silent reader for so long. ;)