Friday, November 18, 2011

Artwork: My Real Hobby

 Long before my obsession with makeup began, there was art. 
 Somewhere in middle school, art class became more serious for me. 
I loved spending weeks on one project (sometimes months), shading, erasing, perfecting.
The cartoon above was drawn from one published in the Sunday paper. I also loved to draw from perfume ads. 


Black and white is my favorite, drawn with pencil.


Recognize an old Lancome mascara ad? 

 Another colored pencil copy from a cartoon in the newspaper.
 I experimented with watercolor in elementary school, but I would love to learn more.

Rita Hayworth.
 Jim Morrison.
John Lennon. I went through a phase of drawing dead singers.  I especially loved classic rock from the 60s and 70s.
 A man from a Time Life photo book.

 This documents my foray into mural painting and brief love of scrap booking. 

My friend and I painted these characters onto her son's wall.
My BAD hairdresser hair- don't judge me!  This will give you an idea of how large the figures were though.

I always have dreamed of going back to school or taking classes to learn more.  Maybe one day when these kids get older.

Do you have any artistic hobbies besides blogging or cosmetics? I'd love to hear in the comments.

9 comments:

Musing on Beauty said...

Wow Martha, this is beautiful, you're seriously talented!
No wonder you're so good at blending and chosing colors!

I used to write a lot. Now my only fun writing is my blog and I do enough professional copywriting at work for it not to be a hobby anymore if you see what I mean. Oh and I sing, a lot, all the time, and very loud when I can :) I need to join a choir but time is lacking :-s

Martha said...

Thanks Mariella :) I love to sing as well, although not in public. Lol. I envy those with vocal talents!

Joyce and Makeup said...

Oh. My. Goodness. These are absolutely amazing. I am like...wow. I mean, I guess I always knew that bloggers had other talents, but...wow. These are just so, so amazing.

Is it bad that my favorite is of the man eating the giant burger? xP

I've been into graphic design/animation and web design since I was 11. I also love cooking and baking, and they're definitely hobbies of mine, but I'm not particularly excellent at either one!

Ava said...

I love this post, Martha! You are very talented! Don’t you think your love of makeup, especially eye makeup, is the extension of painting and drawing? The face is just a different canvas. I used to paint and still have an urge create and to play with color. It manifests itself in my urge to play with makeup - I'm more interested in color products than in skin care. The creative urge also manifests itself in knitting. My blog is half knitting and half makeup. I should probably split them but haven't gotten around to doing it. I also have dozens of knitwear designs on paper that I need to execute.

I look forward to seeing more of your work, but no pressure! The mojo, not to mention time, have minds of their own.

Martha said...

Thanks Joyce! I like the burger guy too :) I have always wondered if I should have considered graphic design. This wasn't really around when I was in high school though.

Ava, I have really always been drawn to the face and eyes in artwork. Maybe that is where my love of makeup stems from- I enjoy the ability to transform the face!

Makeup Magpie said...

Such great work - you are so talented! Love the old Lancome mascara ad. This explains your superb eye for color and excellent blending skills in your FOTDs! :-)

I don't have much training but love black & white pencil sketches & have a couple saved from high school. In college I took one B&W 35mm photography class & fell in love with photography, although I am still a total amateur! :)

Lilybeans said...

Quite the talent you got there lady!

lexi920 said...

Martha,
This is awesome! My other hobby, when I'm not reviewing makeup, is writing short plays.

I'm not the best artist but I am developing my design eye by helping my husband design wooden pieces.

LauraJean396 said...

I love that you enjoy drawing and art! I myself got into makeup only after my son was here! I found that after having my son the time I had for being creative grew less and less! I only doodle now! :D