Saturday, March 19, 2011

Tarte 8th World Wonder Set Swatches and Review

I pondered this set for a long time, always convincing myself that I didn't need it. I had similar colors, I didn't need another blush, etc. It was my sister in the end who convinced me to get it. Too bad I waited until it wasn't the Today's Special Value pricing on QVC....

So was it worth the extra dough?



The woven purple clutch contains:
-Foundation Brush
-Amazonian Clay Blush in Glisten
-Amazonian Clay Long Wear Eyeshadow Quad
-Pureoptic Lip Gloss in Golden Pink
-EmphasEyes Amazonian Clay Waterproof Eyeliner in Golden Plum
-Lights, Camera, Lashes Volumizing Mascara in Black
-Amazonian Clay Balancing Foundation SPF 15 -Fair, Light, Medium, Tan or Deep

Also included was a sample of pure Maracuja Oil:

I have yet to test the oil out, but it looks promising for my winter dry skin.

This is the ginormous and very soft foundation brush. I prefer to use my fingers to apply foundation, so I used this for powder. It was wonderful to buff in and set my powder flawlessly.


The liner is a lovely deep brownish plum. It glided on smoothly, but I found it a bit too soft to tightline with. The lasting power was excellent. I will test out the mascara when I have a day around the house.

Here are the foundation and lip gloss:


The foundation says full coverage but I found it was more medium. It gives a glowing look, and lasted all day even through sweating. I had a couple dry spots on my face that I had to be careful to blend out. The finish is satin, and it looked very natural when I set it with my MAC Prep and Prime powder.

The lip gloss was weirdly minty, almost like the dentist. It wasn't too sticky, just a bit glittery for my taste. I also don't prefer brush applicators. This is probably the only miss out of this kit for me, and it is still something I will use occasionally.


The eyeshadow quad is in a bamboo case, and I love the pretty design on the outside. In fact I love all the packaging in this set. The embellishment is just enough to make it look feminine but not overdone.


The shades are a dark warm brown, shimmering gold, light shimmering beige, and purple with silver flecks. The are very soft and slightly powdery, but packed with pigment. I would suggest patting when applying these, as too much blending can cause them to fade into each other.

The blush compact is sleeker than expected, and I like the size.

Glisten is a pinkish peach with golden shimmer.

The shimmer isn't crazy, it just gives a nice glow.

Here are swatches on my pale (MAC NC/NW15, NARS Mont Blanc) arm:

Eye shadows and liner:

Blush, gloss, and foundation (looks very yellow here but blended out to a perfect match on my face):


This is a wonderful kit! If they still have your shade online, I highly recommend getting one. I was able to convert to Auto Delivery for the upcoming sets in June and October. Check out *The Muse* for pictures of the different kits. I am pleased with Tarte and look forward to trying more from this brand.

5 comments:

PrettyLights said...

I ordered this too, my coloring looks similar to yours so hopefully it will look good on me as well. I also debated about it but I have 2 of the blushes already in different shades and love them and wanted another. I think the formula of tarte's new clay products is fantastic! Thanks for the review, mine should come next week and I can't wait :)

Laineybugger said...

Which shade of foundation did you choose?

Martha said...

I ended up with Light- I have been using it non stop since my kit arrived!

Jennifer said...

do you find the foundation drying? I have dry spots on my face and worry that this clay will cause dryness...

Martha said...

If I have dry patches, it does show them. I don't think it would be that great for very dry skin.