Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Potato Soup!

I love a good bowl (or three) of potato soup on a cold day. This recipe is taken from my mother in law's recipe file, and it couldn't be simpler. Well, I guess it could.

Here are some photos in terrible lighting (sorry).

The ingredients-
*5-6 large potatoes (I used about 8 medium to small)
*1 stick of butter
*4 tbs flour
*4 cups of milk
*8 oz or 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
*5-6 ribs of celery
*2 onions
*salt +pepper


First peel and cube your potatoes. I prefer them on the smaller size, about 1 inch cubes.

Fill your pot with water until potatoes are covered, plus an inch or two. Salt and boil until tender.

In a large skillet or saucepan saute your diced celery and onions in the butter. During this step I usually eat a few spoonfuls as well. You know, to test it.

After the veggies are translucent (but not browned), add 4 tbs. of flour and "cook until bubbly". This is what the recipe card says. I just stir it for a few minutes to mix the flour well and incorporate it into the butter. It will bubble slightly.

Next add the milk and cheese and stir until thickened. This can take anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes.

Here are my two separate pots before combining:

You may want to drain some of the water out of your potatoes, but save it!! Combine the pots and add back potato water if necessary.

I use a wand style mixer next to blend up some chunks and thicken it. Salt and pepper to you taste. I also add a dash of Nature's Seasons.

Dish and top with extra pepper. Consume.

2 comments:

Evil Angel said...

I love potato soup! I've never added chese to it but that is a great idea. My Gran made hers with crumbled bacon on top....yummmm!

Martha said...

Bacon makes everything better!